Friday, August 05, 2005

Where Your Loyalty Lies.....

I'm a very loyal person. The type of person, that once I become your friend...I will always be yr friend...unless of course, something goes terribly awry.
I have been very good friends with Jason for about 4 or 5 years. There is a long history of our friendship...and we have tackled alot in order to be able to maintain our friendship(another long story regarding a psycho X roomate to whom he used to be married) Enter Jenn...my good friend of 3-4 yrs.
In Janurary Jason was shot(by his own gun) in a home envasion. During that time, Jenn and I were visiting him alot trying to be there for him as friends should. During the course of this...

Jenn and Jason became involved (much to my dismay being as the crazy x-roommate is STILL A CO-WORKER) Drama ensued...and try as I might to stay out of the middle...Im SMACK -DAB where I dont want to be!
It's been 4 months now...and the drama is long gone, but now the problem arises: two people who are very different trying to mesh their lives together. Jenn is 24, and has hopes and dreams. Jason is 32 and a single father....set in his ways. He is content to live day to day in his normal "ho-hum" life. Jenn has visions of the life ahead of them...marriage, kids...
She pushes him to be the person he "can be" when in all reality I think he is content being the person that he "is".
I unfortuantly get it from both sides...andI see both sides.
He doesn't like to be pushed...
She wants to know he has goals in life, and isn't going to sit "stagnant".
Both valid...though I personally live under the theory of "to each his own" You have to let people live life as they see fit...and if u love someone, u love them for who they are, not who u can PUSH them into being.
Therewithin lies my problem. Good friend to two...who's loyalty lies eaqually between them...
I understand both sides...and even have my own opinion(which I share with neither of them...because at the end of the day...it would be against one of them)
So as they call me, each exlaining their sides, each wanting me to give them the answers to the lifelong question...."What do I do?"
As a friend, I expect to be consulted with problems...but as a single gal...who has struggled with her own relationship issues in the past....it makes me wonder....
"What great advice DO I give" in the current situation??

All I can come up with, is listen to that internal voice we all have in our heads...the one we usually ignore and follow with the heart anyhow.
We all have the answers to our own problems...buried somewhere deep within....right where we hide them...right where they stay until the point of no return when we finally reach deep into our souls...and pull out the answer that has been there all along...
Loyalty...there is alot to be said for it...
But sometimes it is a hard, lonely road to travel!

No comments: