Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Nothin in This Neck O' Da Woods....

Not much of anything going on. Drama at work has subsided, not that it really matters because it wasn't directly linked to me in any way, I just got shifted in the fall-out...but on my end that is all resolved.
More than kinda bummed because Mike and all of our friends are at
BurningMan which is a lil more than depressing for me considering the fact that I'm supposed to be there with them. Unfortunatly I can't MOVE and go to
BurningMan which is all kinds of shitty being as it is one of the treats I have promised to myself yearly. For those of u who haven't expierenced it, I highly reccommend it. Man made community of 40,000 on a dry lake bed in Northern Nevada. In a conservation area. It's a LeaveNoTrace event which means though it is a dry lakebed with no running water, and no electricity, you have to bring everything u will need to survive for almost 10 days. And then lug everything u use home. Even trash. There are NO trashcans, no restrooms(only outhouses which get hosed out each day by huge trucks to keep them decent), no showers(though there is a water truck that goes up and down the streets hosing down the dust and u can find manynaked people running along behind it hosing off their dusty bodies). No food, no nothing. Well...nothing provided. You pay $250 to walk in the door and then the rest is up to u. 40,000 people, all comming together. Living life, building a community. There are bars, but u don't pay. There are many many things to see, people to meet...
it is the hardest thing to explain to people who have never been. Between the
ArtCars to the costumes to
ThemeCamps it is the MOST amazing place that I have ever been. All in all it costs about 1,000 dollars for everything, including materials to construct a structure that u will call home for the next week....the food u will consume, the gifts u will share with others.
You see, that is what this place is about. Sharing. Caring, comming together as a community, as humans.
Not as a religious event, but a spiritual event. One I am sad to say I am missing this year. So to all my fellow "Burners" have at it, and have some fun for me!!!!!

2 comments:

Chubby Chocolate said...

I live in the West Coast, so I know about Burning Man. I've never gone, but I know a couple of people who never miss it. They say it's getting a bit commercialized now that it's getting a lot of recognition. I would like to go, but I know I wouldn't survive the night....I find it hard to survive for 10 days with only a porta-potty!

sammie said...

I've wanted to go since I was 16,but I never could find anyone that was game to go until I met Mike. We went in 2003 and it was FANTASTIC. Best thing I have ever done. It is getting alot more commercialized. I was dead set on going this year, but sometimes things don't pan out as u have planned them. I was actually even thinking of going to New Orleans next year instead of BM...guess notttttttt!
You'd be suprised how easy it is to stand the harsh conditions(Wind storms so strong that I could reach out and feel MIke in front of me, but I couldnt see him) and the porta potty...
It's quite an experience. One I highly recommend. =)
I know people that go every year too, who knows, maybe someday I will run into Chubby Chocolate there!