Thursday, August 25, 2005

and dreams CAN become a reality....

When I was a child, I vividly remember my dad working on cars. It was his hobby. Restoring old vintage cars. I distinctly remember his midnight blue 1963 Chevy Impala. It started out as a heap...but little by little became a dream car. I remember everything about that car. From the paint job(midnight metallic blue), to the brand new interior that he installed. All I remember thinking is "How kewl is THAT?? You can take an old beaten up classic car and turn it into anything you want".
Hence my fixation with old cars. I've always been into them, always wanted one. I have dragged Mike(and many others) to more car shows than they care to remember. I love ALL old cars. But I've always wanted one in particular.
1957 GMC Pickup
The sleek lines, the wood panaled bed of the truck.
I've long ago decided that any dream man of mine, would be able to work on classic cars.
Fast forward to the here and now(Or should I say backtrack to last summer) and George.

A year ago last May my friend Gina calls me and asks me if I want to go to
Lake Havasu
Does a bear BEAR shit in the WOODS???
So we get babysitters and pack up for the weekend. We are going with her family and a bunch of their friends who all have boats. I'm excited and thrilled to be a part of this adventure. As soon as I get there I meet George. We are instantly attracted to one another and the flirtation starts. Now mix the flirting in with alot of drinking...and wa-la instant chemistry. (We'd find out later that the chemistry was NOT just alcohol induced..ha ha ha) We spent a magical 4 days together, and when he left the day before me, I was really bummed. You see, he lives in the OC, and I live in Nevada. We decided at that moment, that at times in life it is about timing...which in this case was working against us. So we make a pact to stay in touch, at all costs. No matter what. And we have. He came to stay with me for a weekend about 4 months after our initial meeting, and lo & behold...that amazing chemistry was still intact. But the fact still remains...he lives in Cali, and I in Nevada.
Over the course of the last year and 1/2 I have come to learn alot about George. We have indeed stayed in touch. We email, text message and talk on the phone. We still have that "connection" but have basically come to terms with the fact that we both have kids to raise and we have alot of distance between us. So we became friends. Over the course of this friendship...I learned that he is an AMAZING mechanic. He continually buys old cars, restores them and sells them. Its basically just something he does as a hobby...something to occupy his time(and keep him sane) While the rest of us are sitting on our asses watching tv, he is tinkering around in his garage fixing up cars. It's great. He sends me pictures of all of his new finds, fills me in on what he is doing. He just got a
1969 Le Mans
And is currently working on it.
Now we have always joked about him being my "dream man" because he works on cars. Last night in talking to him, he tells me that now that I am moving closer to him (we'll be about an hour and 1/2 from one another).

that he wasn't kidding, He would really love to help me build my dream car. It'll take time, and money....but that we can actually start looking when I move he'll help me look for the car, and little by little...we can work on it until it becomes what I want. No only will he do it, but he says he would "love to do it"!!!!!!!!! Talk about something to look forward to. Now Im scanning the internet, looking for something, anything that I want....It's a whole new feeling to be actually working on something u have dreamed about for so many years......one of my major dreams within my grasp and becomming a reality leaves me with a feeling that I can't even begin to explain.
It's like lil warm fuzzies in my tummy.
I now feel that I have something to look forward to, no matter what.
And it is an amazing feeling!!!! A feeling I intend on holding onto.

After all, life is about achieving yr dreams....even if that means a 1957 GMC Pickup Truck!!!!



No comments: